Dark Chocolate Blueberries
Looking for a fun and delicious snack containing flavonoids that may help boost your mood (Nehlig, A., 2013)? Flavonoids are found in both blueberries and dark chocolate (Khalid, S. et al., 2017; Nehlig, A., 2013). Just keep in mind that chocolate is calorie-dense (Dark Chocolate, n.d.), so we recommend you enjoy it in moderation.
- (1) Freezer-safe dish
- (1) Microwave-safe bowl
- Paper Towel
- Parchment paper
- 1 cup of Fresh Blueberries
- ½ cup of Dark Chocolate chips
- ½ tablespoon of Avocado Oil
- Parchment Paper
- Prepare a dish with Parchment paper and set aside.
- Wash the fresh blueberries with water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place washed Blueberries into the refrigerator.
- Place ½ cup of dark chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl.
- Microwave for 30-second sessions, stirring after each session until chocolate is smooth.
(Do not burn!)
- Once chocolate is smooth, add avocado oil and stir.
- Remove the blueberries from the refrigerator.
- Add each blueberry into the bowl of chocolate, stirring gently making sure each side of the blueberry is evenly covered.
- Place chocolate covered blueberries onto the dish you set aside with parchment paper.
- Place the dish full of chocolate-covered blueberries into the freezer.
(20-30 minutes until Chocolate is solid)
- Enjoy a delicious frozen dessert!
- Dark Chocolate. Hsph.harvard.edu. (n.d.). Retrieved November 9, 2022, from https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/food-features/dark-chocolate/
- Khalid, S., Barfoot, K. L., May, G., Lamport, D. J., Reynolds, S. A., & Williams, C. M. (2017, February 20). Effects of acute blueberry flavonoids on mood in children and young adults. Nutrients. Retrieved October 19, 2022, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5331589/
- Nehlig, A. (2013, March). The neuroprotective effects of cocoa flavanol and its influence on cognitive performance. British journal of clinical pharmacology. Retrieved October 19, 2022, from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3575938/